House Alarms – Commonly asked questions

There are a number of questions we get asked on a regular basis so thought we would share the information here in the blog, hopefully it will help some people!  We will try to update this post often with any new questions that we get asked.  As always, if there is something we can help you with, please get in touch.

Q: What is the difference between 433Mhz and 868Mhz frequency?

A: This is a commonly asked question.  433Mhz is the more common of the two frequencies, simply because it is cheaper to manufacture.  868Mhz is a licenced frequency making it more expensive to produce.  Generally speaking, 868Mhz alarms use FSK technology which allows a much greater wireless range, for example, our Gamma7 alarm which utilises the 868Mhz frequency with FSK offers a wireless range of up to 250 metres, whereas the Sentry Pro uses the 433Mhz frequency and offers a range of up to 120 metres.  In reality, 120 metres in a normal domestic house is more than enough, the Gamma7 really comes into its own when need to protect a number of buildings for a commercial application or if there is a shed or garage detached from the property.


Q: How many sensors do I need in my house?

A: We get asked this all the time.  The honest is that it is impossible to answer the question!  Ultimately, the more sensors you have, the earlier any attempted intrusion would be detected, but that has to be considered along with your budget.  We have some customers that use just a single PIR in the hallway, in the belief that an intruder would have to pass through the hallway to move from room to room and we have some customers that use two PIR’s per room and a window detector on every single individual window, 48 sensors is the most we have installed on one system!  As a general rule of thumb, we would usually suggest a Door contact on each entrance door and a PIR in each downstairs room to which access could be gained, ie, through a window.  If there are any additional windows that are particular at risk then a vibration sensor would be a good idea and of course sometimes a PIR on the landing is also required.


Q: What type of SIM card should I use?

A: Essentially any type of unlocked SIM card is fine, apart from the THREE network which won’t work at all.  All of our alarms use a standard size SIM card, not a micro or nano SIM.  We recommend Virgin PAYG as the one to use if you can.  Some SIM card providers insist that the SIM card is used on a regular basis to keep the card active, this can vary from 60 days to 12 months so it worth considering.  It is very easy to keep the SIM card active, especially with the Sentry Pro as the unit can be used easily as a telephone.


Q: Will the alarms work OK in Europe?

A: Absolutely.  About 10% of all our alarms are sent across Europe, we have regular customers in Ireland, Greece, Italy and Canary Islands to name just a few.  The SIM card side will work with any type of worldwide SIM card so you can use any where required.


Q: Do you offer discount for trade or installers?

A: Yes we do, for bulk orders, ie, 3 systems or more, we can offer trade pricing, please get in touch for further information.  We don’t currently offer any account facilities, so orders will be required to be paid for upfront.

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 0 Flares ×

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 0 Flares ×