Here are some tips for making your home more secure:
- Install a home security system: A burglar alarm is one of the most effective ways to secure your home. A good system should include motion sensors, door and window sensors and an external siren. There are a few varieties of house alarm systems on the market, here at Global Gadgets we have our Sentry Pro GSM alarm which has the option of putting in a mobile SIM card to allow it to send notifications via text or calling you to alert you of action. The second option we offer is the Sentry Smart Wi-Fi house alarm system, this as the name denotes can be connected to your home Wi-Fi and you can take control using the app Smart Life. The app allows you to take control of your alarm allowing you to arm/disarm, rename sensors, change your settings and monitor the system from anywhere in the world.
- Use deadbolt locks: Deadbolt locks provide an extra layer of security for your doors. They are much harder to pick than traditional locks and can deter burglars from attempting to break in.
- Keep windows and doors locked: Always lock your windows and doors, even when you're at home. This makes it harder for burglars to get in and can deter them from attempting a break-in. Our Sentry range of alarms will allow you to purposely set particular sensors on a Home/Stay arming mode designed for keeping yourself safer when you are at home. The most common use for this is setting your perimeter door contacts on Home/Stay arm so if anyone should open the door you will receive instant warning. On the Sentry Pro GSM this is easily set on the alarm panel, on the Sentry Smart Wi-Fi you can set this on the alarm panel or via the Smart Life app on you phone.
- Use smart locks and video doorbells: Smart locks and video doorbells allow you to control your locks using your smartphone or a key code. They are convenient and provide an added layer of security, as you can see who is coming and going from your home. Most video doorbells have motion sensors allowing you to be notified to activity at your door. Some will also have communication ability for you to vocally speak to your visitor wanted or unwanted.
- Install outdoor lighting: Outdoor lighting can deter burglars by making it more difficult for them to approach your home without being seen. Motion-activated lights are particularly effective.
- Wireless Cameras: Adding an external wireless camera that connects to an app which allows you to view live action and recordings will act as a good deterrent. Our Wireless cameras connect to the Smart Life app like our Sentry Smart Wi-Fi alarm.
- Keep your garden tidy: A well-maintained garden can deter would be burglars by giving the impression that someone is home. Trim hedges and bushes and keep your lawn mowed.
- Don't leave spare keys outside: Many people keep spare keys under a doormat or flowerpot. This is a bad idea, as burglars know where to look. Instead, give spare keys to a trusted neighbour or family member. This an old cliche but also common sense and good practice.
- Be cautious with social media: A holiday or trip can be exciting but try to avoid posting your holiday plans on social media sites, this can alert burglars that your home will be empty. Wait until you return home to post about your trip.
By following these tips, you can help make your home more secure and deter burglars from attempting to break in.